Cloud Imperium Games (CIG) today released Star Citizen – Alpha 3.17.2, bringing new content and features to the expanding ‘verse. Available for download later today, Alpha 3.17.2 introduces the all-new Siege of Orison dynamic event, expands explorable derelict ships and outposts, implements the first iteration of AI Planetary Nav Mesh, adds the drivable Anvil Centurion anti-aircraft vehicle, and more. Today’s update also doubles the capacity of servers from 50 to 100 players per server, allowing more pilots to participate in large-scale dynamic events, tournaments, and PvP encounters.
Siege of Orison is a dynamic event set in an entirely new location in the atmosphere of the Crusader gas giant. Players are invited to join the fight against Nine Tails pirate forces and engage in fast-paced FPS and vehicular combat to gain control of significant new floating platforms, requiring teamwork and creative strategies to achieve victory.
The update also introduces more solo-focused criminal activities with the addition of illegal delivery missions, which can be accessed once pilots have earned a reputation as a trustworthy business partner for outlaw factions. Illegal delivery missions provide greater rewards but come at higher risks including a greater chance of being interdicted by security forces while in-transit.
The first iteration of AI Planetary Nav Mesh has been completed and deployed in the Alpha 3.17.2 update, allowing NPCs to navigate planetary surfaces outside of major cities and even land ships to drop off other NPCs such as troop reinforcements to defend an outpost. Explorable derelicts in Star Citizen have also been expanded considerably with a new Reclaimer Point Of Interest (POI) on microTech, a new wreck-site in space including new mission types, and the introduction of five derelict colonial outposts throughout the Stanton system. These new missions and locations make use of the Planetary Nav Mesh, with derelicts having a chance of being occupied by hostile NPCs eager to defend their territory and the rewards hidden within.
Star Citizen – Alpha 3.17.2 update key features include
- Siege of Orison Dynamic Event: In this new dynamic event, the Nine Tails outlaw group has taken control of Crusader Industries’ corporate sales platforms by establishing a no-fly zone to prevent access by air. The Siege of Orison is set in an all-new location across four sprawling, highly-detailed platforms that, when combined, offer a massive area nearly equal to that of its own landing zone. The event is primarily focused on FPS combat, with players working together to help Crusader Industries take back control of the platforms and disable the inverter device by eliminating the Nine Tails Lieutenants on each platform to draw out the challenging Nine Tails Commander.
- 100-Player Server Capacity: The maximum number of players on a server has been doubled from 50 to 100 players! This increase adds new emergent gameplay for large group activities including space battles, races, and more. This represents the next step on the road to implementing Server Meshing, while CIG continues to work on ongoing network and stability improvements.
- New Derelict Reclaimer POI and Missions: A new derelict Reclaimer POI has been added to microTech for players to explore, offering new mission types and loot. The new location supports the AI Planetary Nav Mesh, allowing for the introduction of combat missions featuring NPCs. An additional space derelict Reclaimer has also been added with three new custom mission types.
- Derelict Colonial Outposts: Recently shown off to the Star Citizen community in a development livestream, the outposts are finally ready for pilots to explore! Five derelict colonial outposts have been added across the Stanton system, with their design based on the homesteads first shown at CitizenCon 2021.
- AI Planetary Navigation: The first iteration of the Planetary Navigation Mesh is now live, allowing NPCs to navigate the varied terrain of planets and even land dropships to deliver troop reinforcements. The tech will serve as the foundation for future content planned for Star Citizen.
- Anvil Centurion: Control the skies with the Anvil Centurion, now available to drive in-game! This short-range anti-aircraft vehicle houses both the pilot and a dedicated gunner and features four energy weapons with unlimited ammunition to dominate local airspace. The Centurion is a must-have for any combined-arms forces, providing critical support for ground troops.
- Illegal Delivery Missions: Expanding the existing courier and delivery missions, all-new illegal variations have been added to the game. Once players have built a reputation as a reliable business partner doing legal missions for outlaw factions, they’ll earn the opportunity to pursue a career transporting illicit goods. These missions offer greater rewards, but come with additional risks of being interdicted by security forces or encountering other criminal players who want the illicit goods for themselves.
Star Citizen combines classic space sim and FPS gameplay with boundary-pushing visuals in a massively multiplayer setting of unprecedented fidelity. Live how you want to live: shift paths from cargo hauler to outlaw, explorer, or any other role, whenever you want. Explore multiple planets and moons, including vast cities and underground caverns, all created with a unique combination of procedural planet technology and complementary hand-crafted design.
For further information, including how to download and play Star Citizen, visit the official website. Enlist today and join this ever-expanding universe by visiting the game’s Welcome Hub and Guide System for tips on how to play. Keep up to date with Star Citizen development via the game’s Progress Tracker and roadmap. Millions of players from around the world have already joined to help CIG build the most ambitious game ever made. For continued updates, follow Star Citizen on Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Twitter, and YouTube.