Publisher Kalypso Media is thrilled to announce the acquisition of the global publishing rights for the brand-new dark fantasy game, The Inquisitor, developed by Polish studio The Dust S.A. Previously announced by The Dust S.A. as ‘I, The Inquisitor’, Kalypso Media will be publishing under the revised title ‘The Inquisitor‘. The story-driven title takes place in an alternate religious and historical timeline rife with grisly violence, cryptic mystery and heinous sin. Cast your morality aside and put your judgement to the test in Q4 2023 when The Inquisitor will be available on Windows PC, Xbox Series X | S and PlayStation 5.
In an alternate 1500 A.D., Jesus escaped his crucifixion and, instead of forgiveness, sought violent vengeance on all the non-believers. Centuries later, in a dark and blood-soaked world, an army of zealot Inquisitors continue to enforce their so-called Holy Law. In The Inquisitor, players will take on the role of Mordimer Madderdin, servant of God and an Inquisitor anointed by the High Bishops of Hez Hezron. You will commence your journey in Koenigstein, a city plagued with sin and religious transgression, where it is your duty to investigate its corruption and crimes. Use strategic sleuthing to track down and interrogate suspects, piece together the evidence or even resort to brute force. Your judgement awaits. Will you show mercy, or will you enforce retribution in the name of the Holy Law?
However, crime is not the only darkness that has seeped into the walls of the city and unbeknownst to those around him, Mordimer can enter the mysterious Unworld in which he can uncover the secrets that lie deep within the souls of the depraved. And yet, deeper still, another form of evil resides here, and it is trying to enter the world of the living.
The Inquisitor will be released in Q42023 on Windows PC, Xbox Series X | S and PlayStation 5. The apocalypse is coming, and with it, your judgement.
- Be the ultimate Holy Judge and Jury: Your role as an Inquisitor is to maintain order and enforce the faith in God. But the world is full of sinners who have lost their way. Decide the fates of those you judge in multiple story-driven cases and missions. This is a world where morality and what is right have long strayed from each other. So, will you show mercy or undying belief in The Holy Law?
- A morally tainted, non-linear tale: This is a dark and gritty story centered around a religion preaching revenge and violence. Multiple branching story choices will test your morality. Choose your path and decide what kind of Inquisitor you will be – one of pity or one of retribution – and ultimately what mark you will leave on this world.
- Enlightened sleuthing: Mordimer has unique skills and abilities that allow him to solve the various crimes and mysteries that have befallen Koenigstein. Track down and interrogate suspects. Discover the hidden truths of the city and its inhabitants. Piece together the evidence and make your final judgments.
- Delve into the Unworld: Unbeknownst to those around him, Mordimer has the ability to enter the mysterious Unworld. There he can discover the deeper secrets that suspects have tried to hide in their souls. But there is a grave risk when venturing into this world and the dark force which reigns supreme here will do everything it can to destroy you for stepping foot into its realm.
- Persuasive interrogations: The 1500’s remain a cruel era of justice. As an Inquisitor, you have free rein to use whatever methods and tools deemed necessary to persuade suspects to reveal ‘the truth’. These optional interrogations date back to the times of the real Inquisition and it’s up to you to decide if and how much force to apply to those under your investigation.
- Let your sword do the talking: Sometimes a tongue just needs to be cut right out in order to loosen it. A full sword-based combat system means various cases will let or even require you to use brute force. Master your blade, find your openings, and use your enemy’s weak points against them.